29 Oct 2014
By 2017, 80% of the CIO’s time will be focused on analytics, cybersecurity and creating new revenue streams through digital services
The predictions from the IDC FutureScape for CIO Agenda are:
1. By 2017, 80% of the CIO’s time will be focused on analytics, cybersecurity and creating new revenue streams through digital services.
2. By 2016, 65% of global competitive strategies will require real-time 3rdPlatform IT-as-a–Service (ITaaS).
3. By 2016, security will be a top 3 business priority for 70% of CEOs of global enterprises.
4. By 2015, 60% of CIOs will use DevOps as their primary tool to address the speed and sprawl of mobile, cloud, and open source applications.
5. By 2016, 80% of CIOs will deliver a new architectural framework that enables innovation and improved business decision-making.
6. By 2020, 60% of CIOs in global organizations will be supplanted by the Chief Digital Officer (CDO) for the delivery of IT-enabled products and digital services.
7. By 2016, 80% of CIOs will accelerate 3rd Platform migration to counter premature obsolescence of current IT assets.
8. By 2018, 30% of CIOs of global organizations will have rolled out a pan-enterprise data and analytics strategy.
9. By 2017, 35% of vendor sourcing relationships around 3rd Platform technologies will fail, causing CIOs to roll out new sourcing processes.
10. By 2018, 50% of CIOs will relinquish IT's traditional mode of technology control in favor of an open standards-based framework.
“The transformations brought about by the 3rd platform are having significant effects on how the business uses IT, how IT is delivered, and how the IT organization is structured. Insightful CIOs will seize the opportunity to be key players in this transformation and elevate their role in the enterprise” said Michael Rosen, Adjunct Research Advisor with IDC's Research Network.