jeudi 31 janvier 2013

Dr Lucy, exploring the connections between animal, human and environmental health

Welcome
 
 
Are the animals okay?

I have been asking myself this question for as long as I can remember. It's the reason I became a veterinarian. It's the central theme behind my writing and teaching. It's why I work in conservation.

I will happily stand for hours waiting for a giant otter to swim into a pond and start fishing or for a mountain gorilla to wake up from a nap and start grooming. I love taking my Labrador retriever swimming, day after day. One of my favorite things to do is watch a perfectly healthy creature go about its routine.

Unfortunately, countless animals are not okay. Dozens of species are on the brink of extinction. Others have been squeezed into smaller, fragmented, altered habitats. This is a problem we need to solve — and soon. The reason is simple: humans are animals, too.

We have also dramatically changed the nature of our relationship with animals. We live in much closer quarters, for one thing. More than ever, our health is affected by their health, and vice versa. This is the bad news. The good news is that if health problems are linked, so are the solutions. The next step is to better understand the many connections between human, animal and environmental health.

It will take all of us to ensure the animals, including humans, are okay. I hope you will find inspiration here to participate any way you can.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Remarque : Seul un membre de ce blog est autorisé à enregistrer un commentaire.